Keep your property and your family safe during the storm using the preparation tips and resources below.
- Check updates and useful information from the National Weather Service.
- The Red Cross has a number of safety and preparedness guides for different types of severe weather.
- Before severe weather strikes, prepare your home with insulation and weather stripping. Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Review your insurance coverage and take pictures of your building and/or office - inside and out.
- Prepare your car, fill your gas tank, check your tires, and stock your car with an emergency kit in case of stranding.
Before a severe weather event
- Ensure your employees' contact information is up-to-date and that you have a plan in place to communicate afterwards.
- Define what you need to secure your building, important equipment and who will help; outline specific tasks and conduct a training session.
- Consider developing a system to authorize re-entry to company facilities.
- Prepare for potential power outages, update your phone number and email address, and consider installing a generator.
- Construct a list of vendors that provide disaster recovery services.
- Back up files and data, and store records in a safe area.
- Update outgoing voice messages, informing employees and customers of the status of company operations.
- Close your offices in time to allow employees to secure their homes, obtain supplies and evacuate if necessary.
- Pay attention to the news, media and instructions from public officials.
- Gather necessary supplies: food, extra clothing, generator, First Aid Kit, etc.
- If possible, fully charge cell phones, laptops, and any other electronics.
- Park vehicles in safe, protected areas.
- Secure doors, windows and other openings.
Many apps are available to help you prepare for disasters. Here are a few to consider.
Shelter Finder App by the American Red Cross
Download these helpful apps to help you through every step of the storm. Stay prepared and even get helpful tips for recovery and clean up from the American Red Cross.
Google Play and Android are trademarks of Google Inc. Apple, the Apple logo, and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc. registered in the US and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.